Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What is your favorite book and why? 2/14/11

My favorite book would have to be "Redwall" by the late Brian Jacques, about a week ago I heard that Brain had passed away here recently which was suprisingly sad to me, I had not realized it at the time but I had grown up reading his Redwall series since I was probably twelve years old. I remember the first time I read one of his books it completely blew me away how engrossed I became in the stories he created. Currently I own fifteen of his books and now I am making it a point to own every copy he put out in the series. But what made Redwall the book so special to me was because it was the first of the series. The story follows woodland creatures such as mice, badgers and rabbits living in a peaceful abbey that was helped built by a mouse by the name of Martin the warrior, the hardships that Martin went through shaped him into a mouse that stood for all things good and he would lay down his life to protect those things. Many years after he passed the story began with a young mouse named Matthias who eventually rose to take on the great role left behind by Martin and protect the abbey from evil creatures of the world such as rats, snakes, and other nasty creatures. The story took me back to a time of medieval chivalry when things were much simpler and happier and I loved every chance I got to read one of his books, some of my happiest memories were when I found out a new book of his was about to be released. I was even a subscriber to the Redwall Club, it was a readers club and every member was sent a package every six months with recipes and bookmarks and games that were in the redwall world.

1 comment:

  1. i find it interesting that we, as readers, become attached to the writers we read. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete